Monday, May 21, 2012

Ole!

I was cultured long before I even knew it!  It wasn't until I went to Guatemala that I realized how my mom exposed us kids, at such a young age, to Latin flare!  It was always such a special treat when my mom made yellow rice and chicken.  It was one of the few acceptable dishes in which it was acceptable for the different components of the meal to mix.  I normally loathe casseroles for this reason; Shepherd's pie is another story.
Now I realize how simple it was and how grateful my mom must have been when I asked for this dish.  It's cheap, it's quick, and it's super easy!  It's also gluten-free!
I recently made this meal for the Lake House and you would've again thought that I made some 5-star meal.  I have adamantly avoided rice since my time in Guatemala 6 years ago because that was my sole sustenance while there.  I exhaust foods pretty quickly, especially if it is all I eat for a month straight.  Anyway, since moving to Tampa, I've had to adjust my taste buds and release some of my stubbornness with my vendetta against rice.  I'm eating more of it now and try to stick with brown or yellow rice, to at least give me the illusion that it's not the same grain I'd eaten daily in Guatemala.
Just following the epic catering event of the century, I was kind of burned out from intricate cooking so I racked my brain to come up with something simple and tasty for the guys.  And, Ole!  Yellow rice and chicken!

Here's the very simple recipe:
3 pkgs of Vigo yellow rice
6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 can very young, small early peas by Leseur (this is negotiable to others, but I don't like any other peas)
2 tbsp olive oil
pepper, garlic, cumin, chili powder
Instructions: Cook the rice as directed on the package.  While the rice is simmering, cut the chicken into bite-sized pieces.  Heat the oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat.  Add the spices to the oil while it heats.  Add the chicken to the hot oil and cook thoroughly.  When the chicken and rice are done, open the can of peas.  Mix them all together and pan-fry it all for just a couple minutes, making sure it's thoroughly and evenly mixed.
Ta da!

I made this again last night and used lentils instead of peas, because that's what I had available.  I expect to be eating it all week and I am so excited about it!


No comments:

Post a Comment